Re: Adding Emms to ELPA (take 2), and a technical question

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Adding Emms to ELPA (take 2), and a technical question
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 08:32:18 +0200

On Fri, May 01 2020, Richard Stallman wrote:
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]] [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]] [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

Lots of packages require building and that uses tools.
Emacs, for instance, needs various tools to build it,
including a C compiler.  Nothing wrong or unusual there.

What alarms me about pdf-tools is that it tries to install those tools
itself rather than leaving the user in control of that step.

Mind you, pdf-tools does ask the user for permission first and it pops up a buffer where you can follow what is happening.

Honestly, as a user of pdf-tools, I'm glad this happen automatically if I choose to. Saves me from opening a shell and copy&pasting a bunch of commands.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments