Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 22:23:44 -0400

     > 1.  Check wether there are existing emacs `*-string-* functions that'd
     > be aliased to start with `string-` and make a patch for that. That is,
     > already unify the existing Emacs string library if needed.

To define some new 'string-' functions to aid discoverability could be
good in some cases.  But we should judge properly which cases could
be improved this way.

I would be against renaming 'substring' to start with 'string'.
Renaming 'concat' seems also like spurious inconvenience in the name
of rigidity -- the Lisp equivalent of bureaucratese.

In general, I think that very basic and commonly used functions should
be left alone.  Beginners will learn their names anyway.  The more
obscure the function, the more attractive renaming becomes.

(I understand that we might never deprecate the old names, but I still
consider it in spirit a kind of renaming.)

     > 2. Decide of a set of function that we'd "import" from s.el and
     > namespace them under the `string-` namespace. For example, `s-prepend`
     > would become `string-prepend`.

I am not familiar with s.el.  I gather it defines some functions
to do generally useful things on strings.  Is that right>

What does 's-prepend' do?  And how would we do it in Emacs Lisp now?

--
Dr Richard Stallman