Re: [ELPA] New package: transient

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: transient
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 16:02:15 +0300

> From: 조성빈 <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 21:36:30 +0900
> Cc: Philippe Vaucher <address@hidden>,
>  Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>  Richard Stallman <address@hidden>, Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> For an example from the ‘old culture’... (I can’t say that C has a
> good consistent std, but) look C’s <string.h> — all string function
> names start with ‘str’, memory manipulation function names start
> with ‘mem’ and wide variants are prefixed with ‘w’.

Why should we only look at string.h?  That'd be akin to looking at a
single Lisp package.

That's not what was proposed.  What was proposed is to use "C-h f"
completion (or any other completion) as replacement for dedicated
documentation-search features.  If you want to compare that with a
modern standard C library, try "i mem TAB" in the glibc manual: you
will see at least 2 different families of functions not really related
to one another.  Or try "i w TAB" for an even larger variety.

> Then comes a short abbreviation. Pretty consistent, and IMHO more predictable
> than elisp.

ELisp is so much larger than a standard C library, though.