Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 16:42:23 +0200

> https://ruby-doc.org/core-2.2.0/File.html

Thank you.  This shows 60 file-related functions.  Does anyone want to
look through a list that long to find what they need?  I don't.

Does anyone? Yes, me and I suspect thousands of people.

This is the crux of the issue. You never need to do that, and I to that often. When I search for a single function I'm like you, I don't really need that list. But when I'm discovering the API, it's a gold mine. I can just read that, quickly understand what it offers and what it does not. Also everytime I fall on that list it reminds me of almost the whole API because it's so condensed. Because it's all grouped in one place I can also curiously click on the names and quickly read what they're about, which cannot happen in the Emacs manual's "paragraph form".

Hope I was able to give you some insights about how I & other function. I totally understand your point of view tho, you just always search exactly for what you want, you think viewing this overview is overrated, and you don't mind the occasional confusion when you have to search 3 times before finding what you want (correct me if I'm wrong).

Philippe