Re: master c59e878: Inhibit modification hooks when saving eieio-persist

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: master c59e878: Inhibit modification hooks when saving eieio-persistent's
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 11:18:44 -0700

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I'm curious what the objection is -- why would we *want* modification
>> hooks to run when writing an eieio object out to file?
>
> Do you know what modification hooks are used for?

No clue! But eieio-persistent is pretty restrictive in its other
read/write processes (removing text properties, etc), so it seemed like
this would be the wrong tool to use for changing how eieio objects are
written.

> I know some uses, but not all. So it's pretty hard to convince myself
> that there really can't be any good reason why someone might want
> those hooks to be run.
>
> More importantly, `inhibit-modification-hooks` is bound here globally,
> so it will affect behavior of Emacs not just in that temp buffer if some
> code happens to modify other buffers during execution of this code.
> That can be *anything* when you debug the code or when you run
> a sufficiently interesting `object-write` method.

Yes, that's definitely a problem. Anyway, sounds like you and Michael
have found an alternate solution.