Re: Add some aliases for re-related functions

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Re: Add some aliases for re-related functions
Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 22:10:29 +0200

On Sat, May 02, 2020 at 14:28:08 -0400, Yuan Fu wrote:
> While debating whether it’s effective to add prefixes to increase
> discoverability, lets start with incremental and uncontroversial
> changes.

Ha!  No chance!  ;-(

I don't believe these proposed changes will increase discoverability to
any important extent.  More importantly, they will decrease the
usability of these functions, as they will be more of a hassle to type
in and (more importantly) make the functions they are in more difficult
to read.

Just wanted to explicit that this assume we know both function already. If I don't know `posix-search-forward` but know one exists, but cannot remember if it's regexp-search-posix-forward or posix-regexp-forward or forward-search-posix, in Yuan's proposal I could "C-h f re- TAB posix TAB and select "re-posix-search-forward" quickly.

Without that I have to C-h d "regexp posix" and curse because it returns no result (Eli <--- please fix this), then search for C-h d posix and only then find it.

I strongly object to those aliases which make the function name longer.
I particularly object to `re-match-after-point' for `looking-at'.  Not
only is it much longer, it lacks the instant readibility of looking-at,
and the slightly humorous notion of "looking", as though with ones eyes.
I particularly object to `re-matched-string', which has double the
number of syllables in it as the original.

Just to be clear, you don't like aliases because if they were to be used you'd hate reading code using them, correct?
I mean you agree they won't take away your ability to use the old names?

Philippe