Re: Ideas to improve the output of C-h m?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Ideas to improve the output of C-h m?
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 23:39:07 -0400

  > Some modes, e.g. Info-mode, currently implement their own doc string
  > and never bother with 'substitute-command-keys'
  > ("\\{<foo>-mode-map}").[1]

When a doc string is long, or when the mode has many commands,
the current way of displaying the list of commands is inconvenient.
I think it would be good to develop a better way.

  > It would be useful, I think, if the mode author was able to customize
  > the listing of commands while also "automatically" using the best
  > standard for displaying them (with the added faces, indentation, etc.
  > as you suggest) rather than having to write a doc string manually to
  > achieve it.  For example, maybe we could come up with a way to group
  > commands by categories and then have them displayed under proper
  > headlines in key binding listings.

I agree.

Instead of including the whole list directly in the displayed doc string,
it might be better to have a link you can follow to see that whole list.

--
Dr Richard Stallman