Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 23:40:30 -0400

  > I'm not sure `match-string` qualifies as
  > a string-manipulating function.  Maybe it belongs in a "regexp-matching"
  > category instead?

match-string never directly operates on a regexp.  It returns the string
which was matched by a match or search operation.

The match or search operation typically matches or searches for a regexp.
However, (match-string 0) can be useful after a non-regexp search.

So, does it belong in the "regexp" category?  Perhaps 90% yes and 10% no.

--
Dr Richard Stallman