Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 11:14:33 +0200

> Now assume Alan is proofreading a patch coming from somewhere else.
> Would you like him to read it as he reads his native language,
> or as he reads a foreign language, dictionary in hand?

I agree with everything you said, I just wanted to point out this: of course I prefer Alan to use his native language. But at the same time languages do evolve... the french I speak nowadays is different than the one that was there when I was born, and VERY different than the one that was spoken 150 years ago. The thing is that it changed gradually, and I guess my proposal makes it look like it'd change too rapidly.

So, basically we have to find a pace where most agree. From what I understand there are 3 point of views:

- Alan / Richard: 0 new aliases. Only new APIs.
- Philippe: as many new aliases as needed where "obvious" (regexp, process, etc), probably around 50 (wild guess)
- Most people's: Not against testing with just one topic (regexp), maximum 10 new aliases.... then wait a few years to see how it went before moving on to other topics.

Do you feel that's accurate?

Philippe