Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 17:36:30 +0300

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 16:47:11 +0900
> Cc: Philippe Vaucher <address@hidden>,
>  address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
>
> >> For quite a lot of people, this page
> >> http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/elisp_string_functions.html is much simpler
> >> to use & learn from than this page
> >> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Strings-and-Characters.html
> >>
> >> It does not mean that the later page is bad, it is actually more complete,
> >> better documented, already grouped
> >> in topics... and yet, a lot of people prefer the first page... straight to
> >> the point, simple examples.
> >>
> >> Please tell me if you are able to understand this, if you cannot I'll try
> >> explain further.
> >
> > I understand this very well, I'm just astonished to hear that this is
> > all the documentation you and some others want to see or have.
>
> Nobody claimed that it was *all* we want to see or have. Quite the contrary.

Maybe we are in two different discussions, then.  Because the above
clearly says: "this page (ergoemacs) is much simpler to use & learn
from than this page (ELisp)".  IOW, it sees the ergoemacs page as a
better _replacement_ for the ELisp manual.  If this doesn't mean that
the ELisp manual is not needed, then maybe I have basic
misunderstanding of written English.

Or maybe your opinion is different from that of Philippe, but then I
was responding to Philippe, and in any case "nobody claimed" is then
inaccurate, isn't it?

> There is a need for such a summary *that also links at the current
> documentation*, as I also replied.
>
> That "summary" (regardless of how it is implemented) does not exist today and
> that is partly what this whole thread is about.

AFAIU, the request for such a summary is quite new in this discussion,
and is definitely not "what this whole thread is about.".  Most of
this thread is about something entirely different: changing the names
of APIs so that completion could be more useful for discovery.