Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 09:10:14 +0200

>   > The doc strings cannot be used for this purpose, because they lack the
>   > information about the groups to which each function belongs.
>
> Don't worry about what information Emacs does or doesn't have.  For
> providing better help, we can add whatever classification data is
> useful for that.  Adding that data is just some work -- it is not an
> incompatibility.  People who like some new help interface will add the
> data it needs to work.

Indeed.

My suggestion was to add a grouping operator to functions (like we have
with variables (i.e., defcustoms) that could be used to do these simple
overview pages a la the s.el documentation.

For instance something like

(define-function-group concat
  :group string
  :example "(concat \"abc\" \"def\" \"ghi\") => \"abcdefghi\"")

or whatever.  The overview list would then consist of the first line of
the doc string and the example(s).

The normal help buffer for `concat' would link to this list of string
functions, and the entries in this new overview buffer would link to the
manual entry.

I mean, this is Emacs, the self-documenting editor.