Re: Proper namespaces in Elisp

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Proper namespaces in Elisp
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 01:15:55 +0100

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 12:37 AM Andrea Corallo <address@hidden> wrote:

> _If_ you allow, I can still think would be more convenient doing
> A even if Hyperspec says must do B.

So you want to also change the meaning of QUOTE because
typing a colon is less convenient than typing a quote?
Is it that you have to press the shift key to type the colon?
I find that odd, but in that case, never use (defpackage foo :use),
you can still make pretty good use of CL packages.

> I must say this is one the points where your writing sounds is a bit
> arrogant.  I'm possibly wrong but I've to say I don't enjoy this
> approach and the resulting tone of the conversation.  I don't think it
> serves your points.

You dropped a paper casually, presumably to support your case,
didn't give any framing, just left it there. I could say I found that a
bit arrogant, too. So I went and actually read it and quoted it back
to you.

> > Not exactly categorical, i would say.
> > So you could have just said "it's not my taste".
> Papers just reflect the vision of the authors, this is how it works.
> These are not papers describing scientific experiments.

No, that's not how it works. I had a paper in the recent ELS (as
did you, I understand) and I had to justify every assertion,
particularly the ones concerning other people's work. So they are
not mere opinions.  There is an effort to justify positions, or when
can't, do like the author of [2] did and at least frame them as a
question of taste.

But I'm spending my time in this list looking for hard facts to
solve a real problem and I thought you had some to back up
your strong statement of opposition. I must have misunderstood.

João