Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Wed, 06 May 2020 10:37:52 +0100

I would set this against the cognitive overload of the current API which
is difficult and complex to remember, because of its lack of
consistency, and low level nature. This is in addition to the it's
tendency to side-effect, particularly with moving point, hence the
necessity for regular use of save-excursion.

s.el (like dash, f.el) provides a clean API, documented at a single
point. Of course there is a maintaince cost, but people have already
written these packages and are maintaining them. They also help to
provide a breath of modernity, and familiarity for newer developers.

There is a reason that s.el is currently registering 2 million downloads
on MELPA -- part of that will come from downloads in continuous
integration of course, but this is a large number. Perhaps you think it
is gratuitous, but many other people do not.

Phil