Re: Proper namespaces in Elisp

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Proper namespaces in Elisp
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 12:37:03 -0700

On 5/6/20 8:12 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I like the idea of doing it in the reader (it has some nice advantages),
but the downside is it is then harder to special-case defining forms.

The upside is that you don't need to recognize defining forms ;-)

I don't like reader magic. It complicates code logic. I know we talked about symbol-macrolet and macrolet as possible options and know why neither is quite the right thing, but I still think that a macro of the same general kind would work fine. Macros don't need to recognize defining forms if they macroexpand their bodies before walking them.