Re: master 263ab75: ; Fix recent byte-compiler warning in dnd.el again

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master 263ab75: ; Fix recent byte-compiler warning in dnd.el again
Date: Thu, 07 May 2020 16:55:26 -0400

>> It complains because the ;;;###autoload cookie had not yet been turned
>> into an actual autoload in `lisp/loaddefs.el`.
>> IOW what was missing was `cd lisp; make autoloads`.
>
> That was my first thought as well, but 'make bootstrap' was still
> complaining after verifying
>
>   $ grep browse-url-select-handler lisp/loaddefs.el
>   (autoload 'browse-url-select-handler "browse-url" "\

Hmm... that's odd.
I removed the declare-function, then did:

    (cd lisp; make autoloads); make`

and the warning was still gone.
I can imagine the warning sticking around if you do

    cd lisp; make autoloads; make

because then you only recompile `lisp/dnd.el` without first rebuilding
Emacs with the new `lisp/loaddefs.el`, but in the case of bootstrap
I can't see why the warning would linger (my machine's weak CPU makes
it much too painful to do a bootstrap so I haven't tested that case).

> so I assumed the warning was due to bootstrapping order and added the
> declaration anyway.

I guess that's possible.  In that case the warning should disappear
when lisp/ldefs-boot.el is updated.

>> I also get caught by those things every once in a while.
>> It would be good to find a way to automatically guess when to run `make
>> autoloads`.
> Is it run in time as part of 'make bootstrap'?

Yes.

        Stefan