Re: ELPA policy

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 13:41:30 +0300

> From: David Engster <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 12:29:22 +0200
>
> > So package maintainers are supposed to want to be on ELPA so that they
> > could appear in a video, or in someone's message on a GNU mailing
> > list?  Really?
>
> No, package maintainers usually don't care. I think this should be in
> *our* interest.

If it's in our interest, then why do we accept packages in exactly the
same form as they are on MELPA?  What do we gain from this?

> > Once again, I wasn't asking whether it was okay or not to show off
> > Magit in a video or promote it on this list, I was asking why do we
> > need ELPA when MELPA is out there and has many more packages (and
> > always will)?
>
> Indeed, one possibility would be to simply close GNU ELPA for everything
> but core or maybe-in-the-future-core packages. Is that what you're
> proposing?

I don't have any proposals yet, because I still don't have a clear
idea of what is (or should be) the relation between Emacs and ELPA,
nor even what are the goals of adding packages to ELPA which clearly
couldn't be added to core even if we wanted.  And with Stefan's
proposal to drop the copyright assignment requirement, bringing them
into core will even harder.  But OTOH Stefan says that requesting the
assignment is harmful to the Emacs project.  So I'm utterly confused
regarding our goals in this regard.