Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 10:11:00 -0400

> Are you saying that popularity and similarity of a package is the only
> criterion we should apply when deciding whether to add a package to
> ELPA?

Eli, I think you need to go take a look at the packages we have in
GNU ELPA.  Some are really good packages which we could or even should
distribute with Emacs.  Others are technically far from that bar.
Some are very popular.  Some are not popular at all.

My criterion for inclusion so far has mostly been:
- the maintainer is willing to include it into GNU ELPA.
- the technical obstacles are cleared (format of the package compatible
  with GNU ELPA, copyright paperwork, ...).
- it's sufficiently harmless in the sense that just having it
  *installed* won't unduly affect the user.

I see no benefit to adding any other obstacle, really.

Actual quality control is imposed for inclusion into Emacs,
not GNU ELPA.

> IOW, are you saying that the technical details of the package's
> implementation should not matter, for fear of sending the wrong
> message?

Pretty much, yes.  Not just "for fear", but because we do want to
encourage people to share their code (which can always be improved if
necessary).

        Stefan