Re: PL support

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: PL support
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 19:47:42 +0100

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 7:36 PM Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 09.05.2020 20:58, João Távora wrote:
> > I can make a minimal eglot-interfaces.el file for Emacs core
> > that defines some hooks, has some docstrings, etc, make _that_
> > a :core package and keep business as usual in Eglot in
> > Github/Elpa.
>
> That doesn't sound too bad. Bonus points if the same hooks could be
> universal for the LSP protocol, i.e. if lsp-mode could conceivably use
> them too.

The thing is, you haven't exactly explained why Eglot in core sounds
bad, either.  You say Eglot in GNU Elpa is decent already and I agree.

But having it in core would bring some advantages, particularly for
me, I admit.  Having to jump back and forth between xref.el, project.el,
eldoc.el, flymake.el, jsonrpc.el and eglot.el in different repos is not
much fun. I really wish I could do it here: a holistic approach is much
better.

And you would _still_ have it in GNU Elpa for older Emacsen to use.

João