Re: Making Emacs popular again with a video

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Making Emacs popular again with a video
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 15:53:04 -0400

> Maybe we should embrace them, and provide tools to build custom Emacs
> distributions. Put absolutely everything that isn’t absolutely
> required for Emacs into ELPA so there’s a core Emacs that is as basic
> as it gets, then, I don’t know, use manifest files to build
> a distribution that pulls in the stuff we need from ELPA or
> wherever else.

I think we should, indeed.  Sadly, I haven't found the time/energy to
dig into Doom, Spacemacs, etc... to see how we could do that in a way
that's better than what's already done.

For me "better" would mostly mean that the efforts expanded on one
distribution would "directly" carry over to another.

In an ideal world, these distributions would be basically a list of
packages that are required along with a kind of custom-theme.

And ideally, you should then be able to say you want "Spacemacs + foo -
bar" and you can later update to the latest Spacemacs and it will still
work (still removing "bar" from it and adding "foo" to it).

        Stefan