Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 18:55:34 +0100

> Thanks for the explanation.  Now I think I basically understand
> the design of dash.el.
>
> I wonder if there really need to be anaphoric versions and functional
> versions of each construct.  I think it would be easy to define
> a macro thaat can handle both cases.
>
> FUN-NAME  for a function to call
> (lambda ...) for an anonymous function to call
> (apply EXP) to evaluate EXP to get the function to call
> LIST-EXPRESSION for anaphora
>
> WDYT?

It would be a library rewrite because Magnar mostly defines the function
forms in terms of the anaphoric macros. The point of the anaphoric
macros is, I think, to stop you from having to write `(lambda() it)` to
replacing it with calls to `lambda` does not really make sense.

This probably is inspired by clojure which has a very short read macro
support functions ---

(map #(/ % 2) '(2 4 6 8))

It's quite neat (the % being the equivalent of dash.el's `it`).

Phil