Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Ema

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Emacs?
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 22:46:23 -0400

On 11/05/2020 22.23, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>>  address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>>  address@hidden
>> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>
>> Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 15:36:31 -0400
>>
>> No, my situation is that I have someone sending me a pull request or a patch
>> by email.  I can ask this person if they have an assignment, but I can't
>> check whether they in fact do.
>
> Then you describing a situation different from the one that started
> this.  This thread is about copyright assignments for GNU ELPA, where
> we discuss packages that already exist on some site that we consider
> for adding to ELPA.
Sorry, I did think it was related.  If I start signing all my future commits to
Emacs packages outside of Emacs & ELPA with a key that FSF knows about, then
won't that mean there won't be a problem with these commits when/if the
corresponding packages consider moving into ELPA?

>>> We are talking about the situation where all
>>> you have is a commit made by someone in a Git repository other than
>>> that of Emacs.
>>
>> I don't understand this part.  If there is no signature on that commit, how
>> does it relate to the scheme I was proposing?
>
> It relates to the subject of this thread, whereas you are talking
> about something very different.

Part of the answer to "Why are so many packages not trying to get included in
GNU Emacs?" is that, at least for me, I have no idea how to track whether
people have assignments on file, so I don't put my packages in ELPA.  If there
was an easy way to check, I would.