Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 21:29:31 +0300

On 12.05.2020 20:08, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
If we don't do any of that, we can't create a publish a user-friendly
guide "How to IDE" on our website.
I don't think we should give up our standards to gain a couple of
marketing points.
It's usability, not just marketing.

It is completely backwards, IMO, to put that cart
ahead of the horse.  We are supposed to develop high-quality software
first and advertising ourselves second, not the other way around.
We're supposed to make our users' life better.
Again, not at any cost, and not by giving up our principles.
I don't understand what you're saying.

Publishing a better "getting started" guide would go against our
"principles"?
No, but installing packages that don't adhere to our standards is.

Let me try this again. Is installing an otherwise Free Software package, one that doesn't belong to FSF though, against our *principles*?

It's certainly not against mine.