Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 14:51:06 -0400

> Is this what you think of how I'm doing my job for Emacs?  All I'm
> doing here, most of the time, is make sure the code we get from
> various contributions is up to our standards.

This whole discussion is not about the standards we should apply to
Emacs, but the standards we should apply to GNU ELPA.

The answer to "Why are so many great packages not trying to get included
in GNU Emacs?" is exactly this whole discussion: it's because they don't
want to have to deal with all the rules to follow.

> You seem to be saying that I'm harming the project by doing so,
> because that drives the contributors away.

No, but I do think that imposing the same rules to GNU ELPA as we impose
on Emacs drives contributors away (and it imposes yet more work on us,
so it's a lose-lose option).

        Stefan