Improve Emacs usability - newsticker

From: Nicola Manca
Subject: Improve Emacs usability - newsticker
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 12:25:28 +0200

Hallo,

First time I write here, so let me start saying thank you for the great job your doing with Emacs!

Trying to evolve into an emacs-centered lifestyle, I found out newsticker-tree to read RSS feed. I found it pretty comfortable,
in particularly if you are used to liferea or akregator.

However there are some usability improvements that would make it almost an out-of-the-box replacement of these graphical softwares. I was not sure if this is the right place where to discuss this or if I should send a 'feature request' bug report. However, since there are a lot of discussions about making life for new users easier, these are suggestions that may be valuable.

I'm sorry for the ordering, I just wrote them down what as they came up in my mind.

- Import opml does not preserve the tree structure, new groups have to be created and populated.

- Feeds arrangement needs to be save continuously by pressing 's', this is total counter-intuitive and, even if I was aware of it, many times I did save and found out my feeds spread around, again.

- I cannot sort groups as I do with feeds (M-<up/down>)

- There is no easy way to remove feeds as to insert them, that's totally absurd from my point of view.

- Focus does not follow the cursor, this is quite uncomfortable when you want to operate on a feed you have the cursor on, but the highlighted one is another.

- Some operations are incredibly slow, marking 'old' a feed with ~100 items takes several seconds.

- It would be quite handy if the feed's displayed name would correspond to the label assigned, some feeds have an incredibly long name that doesn't fit the right window (if you keep it at a reasonably width).

- Even if i disabled the visualization of icons next to a feed name, those who were already downloaded remained there.

These are the small usability issues I found so far. They may seems minor but in my experience are those small stuff may be quite relevant for new users.

cheers,
Nicola Manca