Re: Making Emacs popular again with a video

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Making Emacs popular again with a video
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 09:55:16 +0200

> I would like Emacs to have the features of LibreOffice -- at least for
> word processing and slides.
>
> It would take years to get there, but I hope to see it during my lifetime.
What do you mean with slides? Presentations? You can already do
slides-like stuff in org-mode, not as advanced as in Impress, but enough
for many situations. Some presentations are done via pdf-files which you
can show from Emacs. You could even use images to create a slide-show
mimicking a presentation. Or what features do you have in mind?

For some more advanced graphical features Emacs would need better
renderer, ability to display (and script) some graphics, layouting etc.

Why is that important for Emacs? I haven't personally opened an "office"
app for years, unless I had to do something for a customer. I think good
text editor like Emacs is more then fine for most needs. I think people
"need" office apps mostly because of marketing not because they really
need it, especially nowdays when we don't print so much like we did 20
years ago or so. I might be biased here though, it is just my reflection.