Re: Questions about throw-on-input

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Questions about throw-on-input
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 14:55:44 -0400

> I think every one's been talking about sharing data so far, but what
> about the other part of the equation 'shared + mutable state = Bad'? Do
> you think it would be feasible to remove mutability by giving side
> threads only read-only access to all that global shared data?

Just restricting side threads to read-only access is not sufficient: the
"main thread" also can't mutate that read-only data (or at least not
while the side threads can read it) otherwise we're back to "bad".

I like immutability, tho.  And there's no doubt that it would have to be
part of the solution if we want to allow sharing.

        Stefan