Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 10:13:34 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 00:18:43 -0400
>
>   > Please try customizing shr-use-fonts to nil, and see if this makes
>   > things less painful for you.
>
> Thanks.
>
> I never invoke the HTML renderer explicitly.  It gets done automatically
> by MIME display.  As a result, I don't know what it is called, so I don't
> know where to look for customizations.

Emacs has only one built-in HTML renderer, it is called shr.el.

> Would it be possible to change MIME display to show users, somehow,
> what package it is using to render HTML?

Ideas for how to do this are welcome.  Do we have any machinery in
Emacs to show similar information in other similar conditions?  For
example, visiting a file of some type automatically shows that file in
some format.  The way we should this is via the major mode name in the
mode line.  So perhaps we should mentions shr in the mode line as well
in these cases, as minor mode or somesuch?