Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 18:41:11 +0200

>> Yes, as I said I also could print-sign-scan-email, but that's still a
>> lot of work compared to just "browse to some webpage and click next"
>> like I did.
>
> Isn't it enough to overlay a bitmap of your signature into the PDF file,
> or does the FSF really require that you print a dead-tree version and
> then rescan it back onto digital?  I "signed" lots of documents using
> the overlay technique recently for my university. It was very easy and
> IMO entirely equivalent to the print-and-scan method, security-wise.
> You can do it easily from the Gimp, and likely most image-editing
> programs.

Yes, that'd work...

But it's still more work than simply clicking a few times in a browser.

The first thing is that all you have is a PDF. The instructions are to
print it, sign it and a scan it. So you first MUST have the idea of
editing it in gimp. Then you have to find your signature. Then realise
you cannot find it anymore. Thus sign a piece of paper & scan it. Then
do the gimp editing. Then export the image. Then go back to email
writing and attach the file.

Do you understand my point now?

Maybe we have different limits as to what is perceived "annoying
paperwork" but to me (and I suspect a lot of others) it's basically:
anything where I cannot complete the annoying process in one smooth
go.