Splitting GNU ELPA

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Splitting GNU ELPA
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 23:59:25 -0400

  >  We could somehow annotate packages without copyright
  > assignment, but its lack alone doesn't make a package untrustworthy.

You've changd the point a little, so as to disagree with something
that wasn't what I said.

Indeed, there is nothing to stop us from reviewing, and subsequently
maintaining, non-copyright-assigned packages too.  But that is extra
work, and we already have a too much to do.  So while we consider
adding non-copyright-assigned packages to GNU ELPA, perhaps many of
them, we should consider not adding them to the packages that get
our code review and maintenance.

We could instead check them only to make sure they don't lead people
to nonfree software.

--
Dr Richard Stallman