Re: Tramp and crypted files

From: Deus Max
Subject: Re: Tramp and crypted files
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 11:27:47 +0300

On Tue, May 19 2020, Michael Albinus wrote:

> Deus Max <address@hidden> writes:
>

>> I wrote a bash script that manages davfs2 and encfs for uploading the
>> data to the cloud with WebDAV. See for details
>> https://github.com/deusmax/cloud-davfs-encfs.
>>
>> I have tested the package only with nextcloud, but the whole setup seems
>> to be generic webdav. Should work with other cloud providers that
>> support webdav.
>>
>> Tramp uses the GOA library. I don't know if this is plus or a minus
>> compared to davfs2. I should look into supporting GOA, anyway.
>>
>> I would be happy to port it to Tramp. You think it may work ?
>> Can someone give me a pointer to start ?
>>
>> This work could result into creating connection methods like "davs-enc"
>> or "nextcloud-enc".
>
> Thanks for your proposal! I haven't tried encfs yet, but is sounds
> promising.
>
> As written in my other messages, I don't believe (anymore) we shall mix
> the en-/decryption part with Tramp implementation. This shall be
> implemented in another file name handler, working over local
> files. Tramp with whatever backend would be responsible then for copying
> the encrypted files from/to the remote side.

Agree.
Encfs handles the encryption.
The actual files are encrypted, encfs defines a mount-point where the
files are displayed decrypted.

> Best might be, if you start to read Emacs docs about file name handlers,
> and how they are supposed to work. There's not too much in the doc; a
> starting point would be (info "(elisp) Magic File Names")

Great! thank you. I will look into it.

> In parallel, I will download your package, and play with it.

If you have any questions let me know.

Having an easy to use Tramp method for encrypting cloud data would be a
good plus for privacy.

DeusMax