Re: My perspective as a mid-level user on pros/cons of different editors

From: ndame
Subject: Re: My perspective as a mid-level user on pros/cons of different editors
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 08:29:01 +0000

> Of course, it takes more than making emacs viable to make it popular, but as things stand, emacs is not worth learning even for someone who wants to become a power user. It’s of course still worth it for those of us already invested in the platform (I personally use Doom Emacs plus my own config as my main editor), but NOT for new users. I fear that the situation will only get worse in the future, as VSCode enjoys both being a popular opensource project in the popular _javascript_ language, and a pet project of Microsoft.

Emacs can't really complete with VSCode, because it plays catch up in most areas (display, extension language, out of box the defaults, language support, etc.) and vscode is developed like crazy, it has a new release every month with new features and bugfixes:  https://code.visualstudio.com/updates

Emacs for me is more like a portable application platform where I can quickly create customized interfaces for various tasks regardless of the OS I use. E. g. if I want to display some information with interactive features to access an api, for example, then I use emacs, because for me it's much faster to make a GUI in emacs than making a GTK gui and then on windows having to install the GTK libs to use it, etc.  Emacs contains everything I need in a single package, so it's like my mini portable OS.

Emacs shines at this, though I don't know if there's a widespread demand for such usage. Maybe there is, just people don't know about it.