Re: My perspective as a mid-level user on pros/cons of different editors

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: My perspective as a mid-level user on pros/cons of different editors
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 13:18:14 +0100

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 12:35 PM Rudi C <address@hidden> wrote:

> I was happy with the verilog-mode! It was great! I mean it didn't have many
> IDE features (just syntax highlighting?) but that was all I needed. I am
> saying emacs is good for this stuff! :D
> I have not tried eglot. I imagined it would not be different from the lsp
> clients set up by Spacemacs and Doom. (My experience with Spacemacs' lsp
> support was nightmarish. The nonfunctional, intrusive, slow lsp kept
> activating itself even when disabled. I had to exclude all lsp packages and
> even then sometimes lsp showed up. :| ) I'm trying eglot out now. :-) But
> even if it is good, I think it's important that such core functionality be
> given first-class support. Neovim has also adopted this approach, and is
> rolling its own builtin lsp client despite already having a few clients.

Hi Rudi, your write-up is very interesting, and your ideas about
LSP seem to converge with mine, more or less.  Indeed, maybe
Eglot shouldn't exist at all, it should just be built-in Emacs
functionality.  But that's for later.  For now, l'm interested in your
feedback on Eglot, either here or in its Github tracker.

João