Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre

From: tomas
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 09:43:54 +0200

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 12:22:04AM +0300, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 20.05.2020 22:53, address@hidden wrote:
> >Sorry, I don't quite understand. You are proposing that message-fun
> >should not only take over messages proper but also the repl's print?
>
> Yes, why not?

I think, at the end it's a matter of taste/expectations, so
don't attach too much weight to mine.

> >Because (message "foo") displays foo twice [...]

> When it is evaluated in the REPL, yes. Because you're seeing both
> the result of 'message' itself, as well as the result of
> eval-expression.

Exactly. And I'd expect `set-message-function' to only touch the
`(message)' part -- but see above.

> Do you have an example of set-message-function where it would be a bad idea?

Hm. I don't quite understand your question: I suspect that we're
talking past each other, but I can't yet grasp how.

It's not "examples" I'd looking for. It's just that in my head,
the "print" of REPL and the "message" are two different things,
and should be controlled by different knobs.

But, as I said above, it's something rather subjective.

Cheers
-- t