Re: My perspective as a mid-level user on pros/cons of different editors

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: My perspective as a mid-level user on pros/cons of different editors
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 11:40:28 +0200

address@hidden writes:

>> On 20 May 2020 21:14 João Távora <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > A quirky name like xref, eww, winner, eldoc or flymake?
>>
>> But a new user never types or needs to learn those, he just finds
>> a file and all those things are activated.  He may learn the names
>> later on.
>>
>> But OK, you're probably right, we do need a prefix/namespace
>> and it might as well be "eglot". Pragmatically, I'd alias M-x eglot
>> to ide-start-lsp or something like that. But I won't make a question
>> of it.
>>
>> João
>
> I've been using emacs a couple of years now (and eglot) and from my experience
> names do not matter that much - it is more to guide the user where to look and
> what to use - e.g. for source code navigation lsp, etags, ctags, gtags,
> dumb-jump (dumb-jump works actually really well in many situations) ... so
> they
> have a clear path in front of them.
>
> Having an lsp client in emacs (whatever the name is) would make it possible
> to tell users (can even be on a splash screen) -> to IDE type this.
>
> Simon
Indeed. As a user, I really want to be able to jump to
declaration/implementation/find references/get completion to work etc. I
wouldn't care as slightest how it is implemented as long as it worked
well. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I know all the minutiae details on
how it works in my copy of Emacs since I had to install each and every
pacakge and configure them all together to get that working for me.
Which indeed took quite some time untill I learned what I need, how to
configure it and finally how to use it.