Re: next-error use cases

From: Vladimir Sedach
Subject: Re: next-error use cases
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 13:33:30 -0700

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:
> In all this, I'm most concerned about the keybinding: 'C-c C-c' would
> follow an existing example, but it's seems too valuable to take over
> in all programming major modes.
>
> It calls comment-region in c-mode (and a few others), but that
> duplicates an existing binding.
>
> In prolog-mode, ps-mode, sql-mode it invokes some unique commands, however.

C-c C-c is also already used for the various Lisp language modes. Is
there even a prog-mode that does not use C-c C-c for something?

Why put this under the C-c prefix at all? C-c is for
mode-specific-map. This is not specific to a major mode. There are
next-error bindings already in M-g goto-map; that seems like the
appropriate place, and it is not very busy right now. In the keymap,
the binding itself should also be more mnemonic than C-c.

--
Vladimir Sedach
Software engineering services in Los Angeles https://oneofus.la