Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 15:26:57 +0300

On 22.05.2020 13:49, João Távora wrote:

It _is_ honouring it.  You want to revisit that, fine.  Open an
issue in Eglot's bug tracker.
We've been over this a dozen times, on the issue tracker, in the
commit comments, etc. If you just want to give me the runaround, it's
on you.

No.  Burden of proof is on the accuser.  Open new issue, start a thread,
continue an existing one, etc.  Also: "The topic is core vs ELPA."

You've made my point.

        not even talking about people rejecting such changes. Only about
      that someone would need to make them, and to maintain them thereafter.
Code doesn't really rot, especially when maintained in the same
repository, built together and tested together.
I already explained how these settings get outdated.
I missed it.  Can you point to it?
LSP servers come and go, settings get outdated. Like the one that was
mentioned in the RLS issue, I imagine.

But that's the server's fault.> Hopefully, if major modes start relying
on things, they should choose wisely and rely on some stable stuff.

Hopefully major modes don't.

Just like ispell.el does to spelling programs.  I'm just saying
generalities, because these things are general, they have nothing to do
with LSP.  If one wants integration one has to integrate.

Did you just compare RLS to Aspell?

Relying on a "stable" program is fine until it doesn't do the job anymore.

Seems like you don't want much integration.  Fine.  It's been said to be
hard, and that's true.  But there _is_ an I in IDE, and it doesn't stand
for "immense .emacs".

I never suggested to put the burden of configuring this on the user.

is on the server side.  It's totally reasonable that the user comes to
Eglot first, because that is the user-facing side. But the problem very
often lies partially in the server, so we try to politely inform users
of that and help them debug and/or collect information from Eglot's
interfaces.
Meanwhile, lsp-mode developers will address similar reports directly,
without footballing the users.

They regularly solve LSP server bugs in lsp-mode? Very bad idea. Relying
on features is one thing, relying on bugs is another thing entirely.

Did that report concern a bug in a language server? It didn't look that way to me.

Come to think of it, there's another argument for making Eglot
"invisible" in the long run: the report would go directly to foo-mode's
developers.

I'm not sure this is how it's going to work. But suppose it will. And
suppose we only consider the major modes already in Emacs.

If you decide to only field Debbugs issues that have "eglot" or "lsp"
in the name, you will miss said reports. Who's going to address them?

I supose it'll work the same way we deal with a bug report about "my
colours are all garbled" and it turns out to be about font-lock, which
the user is oblivious to.

Offloading work to other contributors, I see.

Sounds like it should be. If so, my point stands.
Doen't stand very strong though.  IIUC you're saying: first invest
the effort in making Flyspell extensible specifically to support LSP,
then develop its LSP backend in a different repo because modularity.
That's not very enticing :-)
That's how it's going to have to work anyway.

No. If there is LSP support in emacs.git and Flyspell is in emacs.git,
you just develop in the same repo, emacs.git.

So what? Implementation-wise, it will be a plugin either way. Which would be just as easy to put in ELPA.