Re: GNU ELPA package discoverability

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: GNU ELPA package discoverability
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 09:34:16 +0200

> For instance, we could make a Savannah project for each package in GNU
> ELPA, give access to the Emacs maintainers plus the developers of the
> package, and make releases of GNU ELPA by collecting all those
> packages.

For Tramp, this would be a problem. It lives on savannah for 20+ years
as own project already. One year ago I've started to distribute it also
on GNU ELPA, and since there are some problems how the GNU ELPA archive
expects a project layout (bug#32544), I always do a transition from the
Tramp repo to the GNU ELPA repo, when releasing a new Tramp
version. This wouldn't be possible any longer, if GNU ELPA releases are
collected automatically from a project's repo on savannah.

I don't know how many other packages would run into the same problem;
maybe Tramp is just an exception.

Best regards, Michael.