Re: Line wrap reconsidered

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Line wrap reconsidered
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 17:47:22 +0300

> From: Ihor Radchenko <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 09:55:46 +0800
>
> The table becomes completely unreadable with line wrapping. It would
> make sense to have an option not to wrap the table even when lines are
> not truncated.

I don't understand what you mean by "not wrap the table".  If
truncate-lines is nil, then long lines _will_ be wrapped.  The Emacs
display simply don't have a third possibility: either long lines are
truncated or they are wrapped.  Preventing wrapping can cause it to
wrap the line at some other place, but wrap it will.

So I don't think I understand the request, and therefore don't see how
tables could be another relevant use case.  Can you elaborate?