Re: GNU ELPA package discoverability

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: GNU ELPA package discoverability
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 23:19:51 -0400

  > Except it isn't. There is nothing in the README about how to obtain
  > write/push rights to the repository or that it is the same rights as you
  > need to add code to the Emacs repository. It also states that if you don't
  > have the necessary rights, someone will do it all for you, but with no
  > indication on how to find that someone or provide them with the code. In a
  > single file package, I guess sending the file to emacs-devel might be
  > sufficient, but for larger projects that won't work. Relying on 'someone'
  > to do the work is a vague proposition and will often result in a rather
  > slow process.

I agree that we should document how to participate in developing
packages in ELPA.  But this is a long term need, not an urgent need.

Since we are considering a big change in how people would do that,
why document the current system?  We may as well change it, get
the new system working well, and document that one.

--
Dr Richard Stallman