Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre

From: Philip K.
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 17:00:27 +0200

excalamus--- via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org> writes:

> What does C-g mean? Why the sequence C-g specifically? I think the
> disconnect may be that C-g appears outwardly meaningless.

I always assumed it was because C-g, when inserted literally had the
same value as does the ASCII bell (BEL, or '\a' in C) character. When
you open the "ascii" man-page on G and BEL even appear on the same
line. So in some sense it's like C-m/C-i, that do the same as
return/tab.

But I guess that's neither consistent, relavant or intuitive.

--
        Philip K.