Re: path, cwd in NS port

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: path, cwd in NS port
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 13:45:17 -0400

> I would like to make it possible for a user to at least correct this
> situation in their .emacs by knowing when Emacs has been invoked by
> launching the .app versus when it has been invoked from the command
> line (and has the proper PATH set etc.)

I don't know if that can be easily detected, but you can simply try
something like the following in your .emacs:

    (when (equal default-directory "/") (cd "~/"))

> Note that in a theoretical sense such an issue probably exists on
> other platforms (or might in the future) so something clean would
> be good.

At leas under GNU/Linux, I can't think of any reason a GUI desktop
environment would use "/" as the starting directory for an application
unless maybe that app is started as root.

Then again, that same reasoning implies that it's braindead for macOS to
do just that.  I take it as an implicit statement on the part of Apple
that they really intend to move towards single-user systems (as is
basically the case for their iOS devices already)

        Stefan