Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 14:59:44 +0200

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > > We could call it Text Invaders.
>
>   > That's a nice idea.  A slower-passed classic adventure/charade where
>   > there is an encrypted message in some piece of text could also be fun.
>   > But writing these is hard (I for one wouldn't no where to start).
>
> Text Invaders should be easy.  You start with a buffer containing
> suitable text.  Set up a timer that runs N times a second
> and carries out one move for the invaders.
>
> Every so often you reduce the timer interval a few percent,
> so that the game gets harder.
>
> As for the user, you don't have to do anything except switch to the buffer
> in a window for the user to edit.
> The user's "moves" are simply Emacs editing commands, executed as fast as the
> user types them.
>
> Delightfully simple!
>
> The errors don't have to be random.  An invader could move over the
> screen, introducing errors.  You eliminate it by moving point onto it.
> Then you can fix the errors it has already inserted.
>
> Lots of variations can be imagined.
That sounds like a cool idea.

There is also a game called Starcraft, which is a competitive RTS played
in tournaments nowadays, considered as a hardest to date RTS to play.
They have some mods/trainers for people to practice their game skills.
They have one such trainer for peopel to learn shortcuts in game, and
same idea might be usefull for Emacs maybe.

The game would shouw icons of some stuff to be created and poeple would
have to press the shortcut key for that structure/unit etc. It was as
well on a speeding timer and everything would go on for a certain amount
of time. After the complete period of time expired, say 2 minutes or so,
one was presented with a screen of total misses and hits.

I don't know if it is possible, but maybe Emacs could show name of
command to be invoked and user would have to press the associated
shortcut. The Emacs would have to pick whatever shortcut user have
defined. Maybe Emacs could show a sentence and a selected region and
user would have to kill/yank that region, divide window, do whatever
etc. Such tasks could circle with ever shorter timer for say about 2 - 5
minutes and at the end user would be presented with the score of hits &
misses. Could be even saved into a file as a "best score". Don't know if
that idea would work in Emacs, but it feels on a first thought like it
could be used to teach out Emacs terminology and some general global
shortcuts at least.