Re: New feature in project.el: Remembering the previously used projects

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: New feature in project.el: Remembering the previously used projects
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 00:57:57 +0300

>> Could the contents of the project-list file comprise easily readable,
>> printable, and even extensible sexps?
>
> I guess it could, but do you have any immediate use case in mind, or
> were you thinking about easier forward compatibility in general?
>
> I modeled the current approach after org-agenda-files, thinking that the
> scheme with one project directory per line would be the easiest to edit
> by hand.

Please use a more future-proof format like is used by saveplace.el,
for example, in ~/.emacs.d/places it's saved as:

  ;;; -*- coding: utf-8; mode: lisp-data -*-
  (("/tmp/"
    (dired-filename . "/tmp/file"))

that allows adding more metadata in future.  Also could you please
add a command to run shell, in addition to the already added eshell.