Re: GNU ELPA package discoverability

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: GNU ELPA package discoverability
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 18:07:09 +0300

> From: Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>
> Cc: Sacha Chua <sacha@sachachua.com>,  Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,
>   rms@gnu.org,  Emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 11:16:12 +0200
>
> I'd rather go ahead by moving Package information to the Tools menu,
> where it really belongs.

Why "Tools"? because some other applications have Tools->Add-ons menu
item?  But if so, then (a) not all of them do that (some have it in
"Options"), and (b) the proposed menu items are nowhere near
"Add-ons", so if someone wanted to alert newbies to something they are
maybe used to, I very much doubt that "Manage Emacs Packages" will do.

IOW, if this intends to make additional packages more easily
detectable, let's find a better name for this menu item, because
what's being suggested here is more a turn-off than a feature
promoting Emacs.

Or maybe I'm missing something.