Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2020 01:32:06 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>
>> Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 11:11:41 +0200
>> Cc: excalamus@tutanota.com, Van Ly <van.ly+2020@sdf.org>,
>>  Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
>>
>> > What about collaborative editing?
>>
>> FWIW, this is something Org users have been wanting for years.
>
> What is missing in Emacs to make this possible?

I don't know for sure.

In the past, I was able to collaborate with a friend using an Emacs
extension called "Rudel", which lets two distant buffers communicate
with each other over the Gobby protocol.

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Rudel indicates that the reference
implementation for the Gobby protocol is broken.  I have not tried.

So perhaps the required work is not on the Emacs side, but on that
of the protocol and its implementation.

--
 Bastien