Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2020 00:24:59 -0400

Today I came across a message remaining from May 11 and concluded I had
better respond to it.  I regret taking so long.

  > >    > Right. And I'll posit that including s.el into GNU ELPA, by itself,
will
  > >    > not hurt any of these three goals.
  > >
  > > It would mess up the naming in GNU Emacs, making two incongruous
  > > systems.

  > Not in GNU Emacs, though.

Yes, in GNU Emacs.  If we have s.el in GNU ELPA under current
conditions, that will put the s- namespace of GNU Emacs outside our
control.  (Indeed, someone claimed it is already de facto outside our
control.)

It is a big problem that other people, without even consulting us, can
take major parts of the Emacs Lisp namespace away from us.

Maybe we can correct this general problem in a general way with a
system of namespaces.  I hope so.  But denying the problem is not
solving it.

--
Dr Richard Stallman