Re: Giving "text quotes" syntax in font-lock-syntax-table only

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: Giving "text quotes" syntax in font-lock-syntax-table only
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2020 17:12:21 +0900

Hi Stefan,

> I see you (plural) decided to switch to highlighting math elements using
> regexps rather than the syntax-table.  That sounds like a wise choice.

Thanks. It is lucky that we have texmathp.el, a smart utility created by
Carsten Dominik. It gives us a way practical enough to identify whether
a given position of latex document buffer is in math mode or not.

> Maybe this actually argues that `font-lock-fontify-syntactically-region`
> should use `font-lock-syntax-table` rather than `syntax-ppss-table` and
> should refrain from using `syntax-ppss` when that syntax-table is
> different from that of syntax-ppss.

Maybe. I suppose that it should be documented, for the time being, that
SYNTAX-ALIST entry of `font-lock-defaults' may not introduce dratistic
change in syntax table such as changing assignments of "string quotes"
syntax.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita