Re: master 7496690: ; Clean up recent project.el additions

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: master 7496690: ; Clean up recent project.el additions
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2020 14:37:42 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 03.06.2020 13:56, Basil L. Contovounesios wrote:
>>   (defgroup project nil
>>     "Operations on the current project."
>> +  :version "28.1"
>
> I'm wasn't sure about adding this :version tag. Would it imply the whole
> package
> was only added in 28.1?

No, because a customisation group is not a package.  I'm not actually
aware of any places where defgroup/defface/etc. :version tags are
currently used, but since Glenn put some effort into adding them[1], I
think project.el should continue to use them consistently.

[1]: Add some missing version tags.
e85e0d5951 2016-01-12 20:06:49 -0500
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=e85e0d5951bd4e6e69beec1301113f5f9b48f81d

> It also create a kind of curious situation when a subgroup was added earlier
> than the parent group. :-)

The :version tag can also indicate "was changed in some notable way," so
I don't think that matters too much, and as I said I don't think the
information is currently used anywhere.

--
Basil