Re: 31395511: "Don’t attempt to modify constant strings"

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: 31395511: "Don’t attempt to modify constant strings"
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 21:25:23 +0100

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 8:46 PM Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> I'm still surprised my patch fixed the problem here (for some buttons,
> at least, for others there are a few more places that do the same
> thing...) but not for João.

There are several instances of the same problem in SLY. I found the ones in the
attached patch, and I expect there are others. So perhaps João was running into
one of the other problems.

Yes, sorry, that was the case.  There was more code doing the same pattern.

I'm OK with changing to the new pattern, and now that this
has come up I do seem to remember being annoyed that I
make-text-button didn't return the string it added the properties
to.

The only problem is that this will break Emacs 24.4 support, unless
I do some version-checking thing.

João

--
João Távora