Re: Should (icomplete-mode) explicitly disable fido-mode?

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Should (icomplete-mode) explicitly disable fido-mode?
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2020 23:48:38 +0100

Andrew Schwartzmeyer <andrew@schwartzmeyer.com> writes:

> icomplete-vertical calls (icomplete-mode), I think expecting it to be
> idempotent (not have any effect if icomplete-mode is already enabled),
> but in fact, since fido-mode is currently enabled this explicitly
> disables it and switches to the base icomplete-mode, as the mode
> functions icomplete-mode and fido-mode act like toggles of each
> other.

But isn't the end result what icomplete-vertical is after?
i.e. icomplete with some kind of verticality added?  Or were you
expecting icomplete-vertical to add verticality to fido-mode?

> Should (icomplete-mode t) perhaps do nothing if fido-mode is already
> enabled?

Maybe.

> I’m not sure. Obviously the package can workaround it (given
> my patch), but I think it’s unexpected to have to avoid calling
> (icomplete-mode) if the icomplete-mode var is already t. What do you
> think?

It's a tricky situation, indeed.  Fido-mode sets the icomplete-mode
variable for effects, i.e. to have some functions that check that
variable behave differently.  But tries not to "be" icomplete-mode.
Maybe Stefan Monnier would have something to say about this

João